Friday, August 4, 2017

Learning to Knit A couple Cast on Methods

Have you ever thought about learning how to knit but you were always scared to. Well I hear where you are coming from. I tried knitting when I was little. My mom and both grandmothers tried to teach me. I was the unteachable. That is up till I was 30. Then I decided to give it a try again.

After learning how to crochet when I was 27 I decided it was time for me to try again.  Bought my self some needles and yarn and well now what. I found a wonderful site online called Craftsy and bought myself a couple classes. Needless to say I now have quite a few classes on there and still so much to learn. I go back and watch them different time and now I am helping my nephew learn as well.

After learning some on Craftsy I figured out why I couldn't seem to get it when I was younger. The cast on. I hated it cause I always had way to much yarn at the end of my first knit row. Grandma taught me how to cast on using the backwards e method. Not my favorite and one I shall never use again.  Now for casting on I use either the a crochet cast on, long tail cast on ( a couple different versions). I would love to help others learn how to knit so I am going to also add a couple of videos here to show you how I do these cast on's. I do hope you enjoy.

Here I will start of showing you how to do the crochet cast on. I use this on bigger projects when I get tired of trying to figure out how much tail I need for the long tail (use long tail on smaller projects).

I am not talking in these videos due to surrounding noise of 2 very energetic kids. (1 and 7)
Here is a video of my crochet cast on. Please feel free to let me know what you think.


Now for the long tail cast on. Here I did 2 different kinds. The first is your regular long tail. I do it without the slip knot in it. (My preference), and then after I put the stitch marker in I do a long tail cast on that is stretchier and works good for 1x1 rib. 

I do hope these video help you to start.  There are a lot more different ways to cast on but for me these are the ones I use. 
Have yourselves a wonderful day 
Happy Knitting
Reney
Trelenberg Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Crochet Kits at knitpicks.com Gorgeous Tonal Merino Wool s at knitpicks.com New Majestic Needles from Knit Picks