Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Crab Apple Jelly. Have you made it.

Good Afternoon wonderful crafter's.
Today I am taking me turn at learning how to make crab apple jelly. That's right. I have never made it before so this country wife is doing her first attempt. I searched online looking for a recipe but like all there is so many that does a person really know. Nope so I'm kinda following but winging it at the same time.



All common things were remove stems and bottoms and any blemishes. Wash apples off.  So got that all done and put them into stock pot to cook.




Yup Apples are cooking for 20-30 minutes. Hope this is all good to go.






While I wait for the apples to cook any guesses as to what else this country wife is doing. Ugh yup laundry. I don't think I will ever get caught up. LOL

Now back to the apples. After apples are cooked its time to strain them to make the jelly.
Taking me a while to strain the juice out but I did read that you can strain them overnight which is good and what I have done. Now because I don't have any cloth to strain the juice through I'm using coffee filters. Yup its taking me a while. I heated up the juice some to help strain it. Hopefully it doesn't hurt it any.












Now to measure how much juice I have to figure about how much sugar I need.  Now most of the recipes I've come across use a lot of sugar to me. No thanks. So here is what I did.

1 C Crab Apple Juice
5 tsp Sugar

Stir to dissolve sugar
Cook for about 40 minutes on a roiling boil. Don't forget to skim the froth off the top as it cooks
To know if its been cooked long enough cool off some spoons and test by putting some of the jelly on the spoon and see if it sets. If not cook a bit longer.
 
 I do hope mine turned out right.
I put some canning jars into some water and boiled so that they were nice and hot. Put jelly in and put the lids on. Oh this is my first try and its a little nerve wracking.

I started out with 11 cups of juice and wound up with 4 250 ml canning jars.  That was a lot of vapour lost so not sure if I did something wrong to lose that much but when you think about it you are going to lose a lot at a boil for 40+ minutes.


Well I have finished up my first experience at canning anything. Now just hope it turns out.  Let it cool and we shall see. 😅💖

Well that is all for today. I will post an update in the comments section once I open a jar up and see how it turns out.  

I have 2 wonderful cheerleaders to help me out.
Yes they are quite the cheer leaders 💖

Thank you everyone and Happy Crafting
Reney                                             
Trelenberg Designs
Country Wife






1 comment:

  1. Update. Turns out I have crap apple syrup not jelly. That's ok. Kids will love it on their pancakes. I will be trying again but will be using pectin to thicken as it is sweet enough I don't want to add more sugar.
    Happy Crafting

    ReplyDelete

New Crochet Kits at knitpicks.com Gorgeous Tonal Merino Wool s at knitpicks.com New Majestic Needles from Knit Picks